Roots, Growth & Sustainability
The original Clovelly Farm was established in Devon, Pennsylvania in 1947 by Sunny and Florence Gibbons-Neff. They had four sons – Tony, Mitch, Peter and Henry. Sunny and Flossie bought the Chestertown property in 1959 and moved permanently to the new Clovelly in 1961. They built their colonial-style home overlooking the Chester River and created a large beef cattle operation. It was here that a passion for the Eastern Shore of Maryland enriched itself and the property. The river and Annapolis proximity provided sailing at its best, and the beautiful acres sloping to the river lent for a prosperous agricultural and horticulture business.
The oldest son, Tony, worked with his father until his father retired and then took over the operation of the farm. Tony’s three brothers pursued other careers on the East Coast. Tony grew the business into a large-scale grain operation. The primary crops included corn, soybeans, wheat, fresh and canned vegetable production. To diversify the product base of the company, Tony introduced nursery production in the mid 1980's. Today, Clovelly Nurseries grows nearly 400 acres of trees and shrubs. Tony’s son, Stormy, became a partner on the farm in 2004.
The path of diversification and sustainability, combined with his love of farming, led Tony to plant the first grapes in 2009. Today the vineyard has grown to more than 10 acres of grapes.
In April 2014, Clovelly Vineyards bottled its first wine at a local winery from the 2013 grape harvest. The inaugural bottling included Vidal Blanc, Rosé and Riverside Red.